Every Resident in Malta aged 16 and over will get €100 vouchers to spend between 7 June and 15 September • Vouchers can be downloaded electronically
A stimulus package worth €50 million in vouchers is expected to have a multiplier effect on the economy during the summer months, Prime Minister Dr Robert Abela said.
The Prime Minister unveiled the voucher scheme on Thursday. Every person aged 16 and over will receive €100 in vouchers to be spent at restaurants, bars, retail outlets and services that were shut during the pandemic.
There are some 25,000 businesses eligible to benefit from these consumer vouchers.
The vouchers can be used between 7 June and 15 September with government expecting this to boost business activity as Malta gradually lifts COVID-19 restrictions.
Abela said that the first voucher scheme last year saw the €45 million injection lead to an overall expenditure of €90 million, providing a stimulus to the economy.
He said government wanted this to be a “summer of work” but cautioned that restrictions that remain in place must be adhered to. He insisted that restrictions will continue being lifted gradually according to what the health authorities dictate.
Economy Minister Silvio Schembri said people will be able to receive their vouchers in printed format or digital format, depending on the person’s preference.
He said anybody wanting to download the vouchers electronically on their smartphone between today and 4 June by going to wallet.vouchersmimcol.com.
Anybody who does not download the vouchers will automatically receive them by registered post in the weeks after 4 June.
Schembri said that the electronic download system was more convenient because vouchers would be received immediately and ready for use from 7 June. He said that vouchers will always be available on the individual’s phone and could be transferred to another person or used for online payments for takeaway services.
- Every person aged 16 and over will receive €100 vouchers
- Red vouchers worth €60 can be spent on restaurants, bars, hotels and diving schools
- Blue vouchers worth €40 can be spent on beauty services, retail outlets selling shoes, clothes and other items, gyms, museums, band clubs, art and culture activities
- Vouchers can be used between 7 June and 15 September
- Vouchers can be downloaded electronically between 20 May and 4 June on smartphone from wallet.vouchersmimcol.com
- Vouchers can be transferred on mobile phones
- Those who opt not to download vouchers will receive them by registered post after 4 June
- A total of 25,000 businesses are eligible to receive the vouchers.
- New qualifying businesses will receive an instruction leaflet from Friday.
- Businesses which received vouchers in the first round do not need to do anything other than to ensure that their credit card remains valid.
- Total cost of vouchers €50 million
- More details are available at https://www.vouchersmimcol.com/
- Businesses can also use the helpline 8007 4904 for more information.